Something You May Want To Know?

Post 119: SIA Cabin Crew @ Renaissance Hotel, Kuala Lumpur_Part 1

Hi Readers! This blog will be full of WORDS! No photos:) Know why? YES, I'm talking about SIA Cabin Crew job recruitment in Malaysia. I decided to blog about it before I lost my memory (hahah) As you know that Singapore Airline is a top leading airline in the world. SIA is the best choice for me to step out from my comfort zone that's why I tried to go for the interview. 

I wasn't aware about this cabin crew job at all, I heard it from my sister because she is planning to go for the interview so I was like thinking why not I give it a try as well right? Before I start elaborating on my story, I would like to share with you about myself. 

Few years back, I wanted to join SIA Cabin Crew team or maybe MAS Airline but during that time I wasn't ready to step out from my comfort zone and from my family, my home. Also, I actually went to do some research on the SIA Cabin Crew interviews from other candidates, whom went for the interview and blogged about it, I felt worried about the questions they gonna ask during the interview so I decided to gave up. (I know it was the dumb-est thing to do, why would I even gave up before trying it)

This time I told myself, no matter how scary or how hard or how nervous I will be, I must give it a shot. Fail or Success to me doesn't matter, the most important is I do give it a shot and no regrets at all!  So yea, after I've made my decision and confirmed that I will be going for the interview. I started to do some reading and research on the SIA Cabin Crew interviews from other candidates. I was kinda ready for the questions of what the interviewers gonna ask and at the same time worried I couldn't answer their questions. (haizzzzzzz)

The day before the interview, me and my sisters were SUPPOSED to sleep early so that we will have full energy for the interview. Unfortunately, three of us slept at 4am that night, and we need to wake up at 530am. 
Why are we sleeping so 'early' that night? Is because we were doing last minute preparation (please don't learn from us.. heh) Printing, amend our resume, check our documents, what are the documents they need and etc.. 

Preparation before going for an interview:

1. Documents
- SIA Application Form (please print out the form from their website)
- Resume
- All Education Certificates (Diploma/Degree/Other High Qualification(s))
- Identity Card
- Passport 
- Birth Certificate
- Passport photos (at least 4 pieces with white background)

PS: Please bring along with your original documents and certificates because they would want to see it 

2. Your Outfit
- where something you are comfortable with



Top: Semi formal blue top
Bottom: Pencil skirt in grey 
Heels: H&M pumps in black
Bags: Grey Lacoste tote bag

3. Make Up
- just a simple and light make up will do.

*I will explain why later

4. Hair
- You may tie a bun/ponytail/half-up ponytail, up to you. Tie what you are comfortable with.

Lastly, please be early, super early as possible OR if you can afford to stay at Renaissance Hotel where their interview will be held:) Although they stated 10am but you HAVE, MUST to be there as early as possible. Because by the time you reach there, you will see 100 over candidates are queuing after you. So can you imagine what time they are here to queue. 

The day has finally came!!

22nd Oct 2016 (Saturday)

As I've mentioned that we (sisters) supposed to wake up at 530am but my alarm did not ring that morning. My sister came in to woke us up, that time was already 630am == (damn!) We woke up, shower, put on make up, took our bag and documents and head the road. Thank goodness! It was still early, no one head to work yet, no jam, smooth journey all the way (Thank god)

We arrived at 815am. More cars are coming into the parking. We saw a few girls was fully dressed (formal, full make up & a bun) and ready for the interview which make the 3 of us underdressed (haha) Then I told them, 'Chill! No one is underdressed. Our outfit are perfectly fine, just smile & be yourself! That's what we need today!'

We went upstairs, asked the receptionist counter where is the SIA Cabin Crew interview held and we walked there. YES! Already a lot of candidates queuing. All of them looks so presentable, pretty & handsome. So crowded.

We queued together and my sister went to ask a girl (whom with their uniform from the SIA Flight Attendant Training Centre kinda thing) What do we need to prepare? One of the girl told us that we need glue our passport photo on our Application Form. We asked her whether do she have a glue to stick, she said No, we have to find a way to look for a glue. We were like, okkkkkkkkkk. (As we thought it was a test for us, haha) I walked out to the receptionist counter and the restaurant to asked for glue, they said they do not have any glue but stapler or cellophane tape (shit). A little panic back then. After a while, guess what? I heard someone said that we can use stapler (relieved)

PS: Just to let you guys know before hand, what i knew was, if you do not have any Degree/Diploma/Other High Qualification(s) certificate, you must have good grades for your SPM/STPM results, if not you will be disqualified immediately right before you even get your queue number.

PS: Please do not keep playing on your phone while waiting for your interview. Try to be more friendly, smile and talk to people next to you. You wouldn't know if there is anyone around you obeserving each and every candidates in the room.

While we were queuing, SIA staffs were going through all of our Application Form. I saw some of them was disqualified immediately :( We were queueing in line of 10 candidates each group. Soooooo, These was how it goes!


#1 Group Interview

This is the one big chance to make/or break an impression during the SIA cabin crew interview. And trust me guys, either you went through the first interview or saying goodbye at this seemingly easy first round.

In a group of 10 candidates, you will be brought to a room with TWO interviewers (one man & one lady) and told to introduce yourself, also, one random question from the interviewers.

As for the random question, it is really up to the interviewers. They may ask a random question for all 10 candidates OR different random question for each candidate. It depends. The other group did shared with us what the interviewers asked. One of the group got asked, "where would you bring a tourism to visit in Singapore?" OR just 3 simple questions, name, age & your hometown.

Tips 
- To greet the interviewers 'Good Morning Everyone" and look at the interviewers and other candidates while speaking
- Smile genuinely as you speak
- If you are quavering in your voice, do not panic or frown. Instead, apologise, smile and restart that sentence.
- Finish your sentence with 'Thank you for listening"


Our group questions was,

"Tell us what is your name, your age, which hometown you're from & what is your favourite phone?"

"My name is ________. I'm 26th this year. My favourite phone is iPhone as I'm using one now. I love iPhone is because it is user friendly and i love the design and...................."(I got a 7 seconds paused.. I'm so screwed ) I apologised to them immediately. "I'm so sorry, I'm a little nervous." The interviewers was so nice. They replied me "Its ok:)"
So, I repeated my last sentence again. "I love iPhone is because it is user friendly and i love the design. Thank you." (with a smile) I'm so worried while everyone was doing their introduction. After we've done, we need to head out of the room, wait for the result whether did we pass or fail.

While we were waiting, we were all discussing, getting worried:(

Our names are out. Unfortunately, only my name was called in my group. My sister didn't make it the first round :(


#2 Height Check

 Height will be measured during this second round. There will be a Height Measuring Equipment and you will asked to stand straight, chin up. The minimum height requirement of at least 1.58m for females and 1.65m for males in order to carry out safety and emergency procedures on board.
They are strict about the height. Even if your height difference by 1m or 0.5m, you will be disqualified as well.

I passed the height check


#3 Group Discussion

In a group of 6 candidates, you'll be split into two groups (agree or disagree) and be given a topic to debate about. There will be 2 interviewers (one man & one lady).
My group of 3 will be the disagree, another group of 3 will be agree. So we will be given 2 minutes to discuss among each other. After 2 minutes, we need to give one point of why we disagree/agree with the statement given.

Our question was,

"Beautiful people make more money"

"I disagree with Beautiful people make more money. Nick Vujicic, whom without arms & lumps. He is so successful because of his strength and his confidence. Thank you." (with a smile)

When I was answering their question, my sentence was kinda messed up (haha... I hope they understand) So worried while waiting for others to give their point. Also, the interviewers was so nice. Before we get started, they actually congrats us and tell us what they are gonna ask us. After 2 minutes, our group wasn't ready, they gave us another 30 seconds:) So nice of them.

I was calm during this interview better than the first round.
As usual, we need to wait for our result outside the room. Only 3 out of 6 get called out.

So, I've read other blog post regarding the interview, they said that this interview will take 2 days so I assumed this will be the last interview for today and tomorrow I will need to be back here again. In fact, I completed my interview on the same day because I started my interview early in the morning but for those who came late for the interview, they will need to continue their interview tomorrow. If anyone of you are planning to go for the interview, don't make any plans till 5pm.


#4 Management Interview

During this forth round interview will be the one-on-one interview with two interviewers. The interviewers would usually ask you questions that are more personal or related towards Singapore and the service industry.

My question was,

"Will you cut your hair short?"

"Yes, I will."

"Why?"

"Because cutting my hair short will give me more confidence."

"What makes you think that you could join SIA team?"

"From my past experience, I've liaise with a lot of customers. I think joining SIA team will learn a lot." (Something like that, I think is a not good answer for the two interviewers)

"What is your weakness?"

My weakness is I'm a slow learner. 

"How can you improve yourself?"

"I will do my very fast to pick up what I can for the company."

"All your family members and friends are in Malaysia, will you be ok to leave Malaysia?"

"Yes, I'm ok with it. I've been living in my comfort zone for 26 years. Its time for me to step out. Right now, we have everything, Whatsapp, FaceTime, Skype, etc that we could communicate with them."

I said thank you and left the room to wait for my result.

Tips
- Remember to make eye contact with the interviewers
- Remember to be yourself and smile always.

At this part, I was a little confused. I noticed that whoever came out from the management interview, the interviewers will take about 3 to 4 minutes to get the result out. One of the interviewer will come out to pass the result to the malay lady, whom just sitting right in front of the room OR the interviewer will pass the result straight to the chinese lady inside the Kebaya fitting room.

Mine was called by the malay lady into the Kebaya fitting room for my final stage. So I think I went through right (phew)


#5 Weight, Skin Check & Kebaya Fitting 

The Kebaya fitting is only applicable for girls. You'll be brought into a room with few girls sitting there and wait for their turn.

I went in there, put everything down, took off my heels and stand at the weighing machine. Then, there will be 1 green marked line on the floor, 1 on the wall and you'll be asked to reach and tap it. The green line is simply placed there as a substitution to the aeroplane's overhead compartment.

I was like stretching my hands up above the green marked line. She was very nice and encouraging. She told me that I can do it. Try once more. So i tried again, and reachhhhhhhhhh above the green marked line (phew)

Although you've done with the first round of height check before the management interview, this round is to make sure that you have the minimum requirement for the job. Please guys, do your best to stretch as high as possible:)

Follow by the Kebaya fitting, I walked to the corner of the room where you may change at that little space. Don't worry, that little space was covered up with red cloth, no one could peek through and no CCTV in that room.
Again, I've read some of the blog post, they mentioned that we will be given 5 minutes to change and tie a bun. But so far, the chinese lady did not time me. She only told me to change into my Kebaya, tie a bun, remove all my jewelries (necklace, rings, earrings, anklet) and tights (if you are wearing one). You may take your time but my meaning of 'take your time' doesn't mean you can really 'take your time'. Try to get changed and bun up as soon as possible.

Don't bother wasting time to look for the size tags (S, M, L) as all the Kebayas are tailor-made to each individual so no two Kebayas are completely the same. You just have to find a set that fits you best.
So, I walked into the little space, I saw only 2 Kebayas left hanging there. I saw their sizes looks a little too big and loose for me but its ok. I gave it a try. I was lucky, a candidates was done with her Kebaya fitting, skin and weight check, she gave me her Kebaya. (phew) I tried it on and it was just right:)

I walked out with a pair of sandals. I was lucky enough. The sandals was size 6 and I'm size 6:D

Finally its my turn. The interviewer will do some friendly chat with you while she is doing your skin check and kebaya check.

She will be looking at your hands, neck, back of neck, any tattoo, ears piercing, legs, and walk towards the judge from a distance and smile
As for the skin check, the personnel would look at your face whether do you have any scars, pimples, blemishes, dry skin, oily skin, sensitive skin and etc.

Why light and simple make up? Is because the more you hide, the longer it takes for the interviewer to check your face. Try not to hide too much. Be honest to them.

For me, my legs was with rashes due to I got bitten by the sandflies aren't recover yet. (I was so worried back then that I will be disqualified)

Once I'm done, the management will let you know if you made it! An employment form would be handed out and you'll have to submit some of your certifications and documents.

I gave them my photocopy of Birth Certificate, SPM, Diploma Certificate, ID Card & Passport.

Tips

- Don't be competitive and selfish to take more than one Kebaya at a time to try on.
- Help each other if other candidates need help
- Do not hunch and be confident as you walk
- Remember to SMILE


#6 Medical Check-Up

The medical check- up will be done on a separate day at a specific clinic you'll be asked to visit. The check-up will usually include a chest, back X-ray and full body examination. Once you've done with it, head home and wait for calls or letter. If you've passed, you can expect to receive a phone call within a few weeks.

The malay lady gave me a few dates for the check-up, so I told her which date I prefer. She gave me a medical check-up letter with the clinic address. The date stated there only valid for THREE DAYS. If you missed the dates, so sorry, you couldn't make another booking again.

My body check-up will be on the 1st Nov 2016 (Tuesday) at KL. Fingers crossed, I could pass my body check up. I'm thinking and worried about it so much :(


Overall, all the interviewers are so friendly and nice person. For those who are planning to go for the next recruitment, Good Luck, All The Best. Remember to be yourself and Smile:)

If you have any questiones regarding SIA Cabin Crew Interview, please do not hesitate to email to
kellypinksecretlifestyle@gmail.com
I will get back to you as soon as I could.

PS: I prefer you guys to email me instead of leaving comments down below because I'm not sure whether you guys understand or do you even know I've replied your comments.

I hope this blog post I shared, I could help all of you before you go for the interview.

Before you go, do remember to check out other blog post too:)

Cafe Review:
http://kellypinksecretlifestyle.blogspot.my/2016/10/post-117-mian-sunway-mas-pj.html

Travel Blog:
http://kellypinksecretlifestyle.blogspot.my/2016/10/post-118-pulau-tioman-pahang.html

Cosmetic Review:
http://kellypinksecretlifestyle.blogspot.my/2016/10/post-116-colourpop-cosmetics-review.html


Take care
See you all soon:)
xoxo

Comments

  1. Hey Kelly, when they perform skin check and check on your back, do they also pull down your shirt to check on the lower part of your back? I've a birth mark on my back but its coverable with shirt, but if they pull it down, it's noticeable. Can u advise me? THanks alot!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I applied online and they invited me to attend the interview on Sunday. Do you know which stage I have to go through on Sunday?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent! Informative!! I am glad while searching i found the post, all the information is qualitative and helpful to grow my business. Top Tips!! Air Hostess Training in Mumbai

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Post 121: Updated - SIA Medical Check Up

Post 123: UPDATED - Golden Call from SIA